F7t2 and QA Meeting

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 20 18:41:54 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:
> > As Jesse announced on fedora-devel-list, the code freeze for
> > Fedora 7, Test 2 is today (this evening, US EST).
>
> I'm not sure when you intend to freeze the kernel for F7T2
> (perhaps today?), but the current kernel -git, along with the
> existing rawhide 2930 and 2932 kernels (and maybe the previous
> one, too), won't boot from a VIA SATA 6420, 6421, or 8237A
> controller.  I'd guess this affects a pretty good number F7
> testers who use SATA on a VIA chipset motherboard.
>
> A patch to fix the problem was accepted into the libata tree this
> morning, so it should show up in the mainline kernel -git soon.
>
> Jay

  +1   Mine is a 6420.  Boot is on pata
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

    ....but I have a sata storage drive that prevents boot.
00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA
RAID Controller (rev 80)

  2.6.20-1.2925.fc7  boots with no problems
--
    Tom Brinkman                        Corpus Christi, Texas