Goodbye, Fedora

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 21 18:50:13 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of the the endless internal wrangling over what to do
> about the core/extras split, and the years the project has spent
> failing to engage with third-party developers and repo maintainers.
> That IRC-session parody of Fedora politics somebody wrote back around
> 2002 remains as painfully on-point today as it was then.

No, it's not. Every point I've raised in that mockalogue has been
largely addressed. Red Hat is not even conflicted by Fedora any more,
as it seems to have finally gotten through to the sales drones that
people who are using Fedora aren't likely to pay for a RHEL license
anyway, so offering Fedora does not translate into lost sales.

Lots of problems remain, especially now that the Core/Extras merger is
making everyone's life miserable due to the fact that packaging
procedures have been changing daily (or so it seems) since early
February, but that's a hurdle that is being actively worked on -- once
the dust settles, things will clear up and new docs will be written.

Everything is far from being "broken" as you imply, and you will find
that grass may not necessarily be greener on the other side -- just
different flavours of the same weed.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec