a question abotu the .spec file

Chris Taylor chtaylo4 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 22:26:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

First off let me caveat this by saying that I came across this while trying
to apply the skas patch to the 2.6.19.src.rpm for fc5.

I had previously installed other versions of the source rpm and now when
trying to build a kernel rpm I'm having some issues.  It appears that when I
prep the kernel sources (rpm -bp) the default .spec file tries to apply all
config files in the current directory.

from line 1111 of kernel-2.6.spec:
# now run oldconfig over all the config files
for i in *.config
do
  mv $i .config
  Arch=`head -1 .config | cut -b 3-`
  make ARCH=$Arch nonint_oldconfig > /dev/null
  echo "# $Arch" > configs/$i
  cat .config >> configs/$i
done

since there are different .config files for each iteration of the kernel (
i.e kernel-2.6.19-i586.config vs  kernel-2.6.18-i586.config) should the
.spec file be specific to the kernel that it's intended for?  I guess what
I'm trying to say is, shouldn't there be a /SPECS/kernel-2.6.19.spec and a
/SPECS/kernel-2.6.17.spec file?

In the file the it would look for *$(kversion)*.spec instead of *.config .
There might be a few other places in this file this would apply.

I'd be happy to submit a patch if you'd be interested in this change?

Respectfully,
Chris

Respectfully,
Christopher Taylor