Goodbye, Fedora

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Thu Feb 22 11:36:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:25:01PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> > We only have your analysis of the problem. Not a description of the
> > actual problem. That would be more helpful. Perhaps a bug report.
>
> You have half of it.  rpm should be statically linked to avoid this sort
> of cul-de-sac.

That doesn't help. We (SUSE) had a statically linked rpm for years
and switched to a dynamically linked one. Statically linked doesn't
work because rpm needs to lookup passwd entries when installing
packages and the nss code in the passwd lookup uses dynamically
loaded plugins. You get lots of unpleasant effects if the
statically linked glibc code can't work with plugins from a
glibc update.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de