anaconda update time needs to be improved (really) (speed up yum/ld config)

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Feb 22 14:03:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 08:16:21PM +0100, dragoran wrote:
> >I wonder if ld.so could be changed to run the cache update as needed,
> >on-the-fly?
> >

> should be possible (using inotify and only add the new created files to
> the cache)
> but for this we need a ld daemon (dunno if its possible to update only a
> part of the cache)
> /sbin/ldconfig can check if the daemon is running and if yes just do
> nothing, else work as it used to be (like it did before).  (still works
> when daemon is not running).
> this would also speed up yum updates too.

I was thinking more like this:

When ld.so loads the ELF binary to run, it resolves library
requirements.  Instead of printing error messages and exiting when it
can't find the required libs, just do what ldconfig would do instead,
then retry loading the program again.