FC6 updates broken deps?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Feb 23 11:55:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:12:55 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:58:21 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Did I mention that Ctrl-C should be kill yum and -not- switch
> > mirrors??!?!??!
>
> That is actually useful. Typing it twice or thrice should kill
> yum, however, at least it did some time ago.

A common scenario for newbies, which make you bow your head in shame: You
had thought they would prefer the graphical package tools, you have not
recommended the command-line, but they know Google and have found lots of
documentation about how to install something with Yum. And what happens?
Metadata checksum failures on apparently all mirrors. ^C doesn't help.
Yum switches through all available mirrors. WTF? Some time later, 78
updates are available. Newbie is caught in a loop of download failures,
mirror-switching, ^C attempts, low through-put, and reacts very surprised
and disappointed about "this Linux stuff".