yum and Ctl-C (was Re: FC6 updates broken deps?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Feb 23 22:39:56 UTC 2007

At 1:38 PM -0800 2/23/07, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:16:31 +0100, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Err.. wasn't this fixed recently, so that ^C exits rather than switches
>> mirror?

Not on my system, which for months now has been using yum without
stablemirror.  Ctl-C sometimes would switch mirrors and sometimes would
cause yum to exit, as others have been complaining.  From looking at yum
and the libraries it uses, the behavior seems to me to be accidental.

>No, this wasn't changed. Some people LIKE the "switch mirror"
>behaviour. I think the ideal approach would be to emulate what
>mpg123 does. If you hit ^C once, it goes to the next track, but
>if you hit it twice, it exits. However, implementing this in yum
>was seen as unreliable. So, instead, yum was made to exit at
>the SIGQUIT (^\ on keyboard).

I like to choose between switching mirrors or quitting yum when I press
Ctl-C.  Stablemirror seems to do it reliably, using the
YumRepository.setupGrab.grabfunc.opts.interrupt_callback hook.  Yum's
top-level KeyboardInterrupt handler never gets the exception -- it usually
didn't anyway, as RPM had already siezed SIGINT.