2. Questions??

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 26 11:58:48 UTC 2007

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Why not?
>
> Is it not better for the end user to always have the latest copy?
> ( Less to update, Bugs fixed that were in the first release etc etc )
>
> What logical reason does the publishing team at the Fedora-Project provide
> for not providing the latest respins? ( given that respins are made
> every 30 days or so )
>
> Interested in what the man/team who's in charge has to say about this.

We have limited resources. A respin requires not only the ability to
merge back updates easily but also the ability to do the full QA that we
do before the general releases. Doing it on a regular interval of say
every month (otherwise the updates would be very large) is lot of work.
There is work being done to solve these.

Distribution spin tool - https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi
Automated test suite - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Beaker

The problem that respins resolve ( large number of updates for users on
low bandwidth networks) can potentially be solved usually other methods

Delta RPMS - https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto

Adding more metadata and providing the ability for users to pick only
security updates for example.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UpdatesSystem

Rahul