2. Questions??

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon Feb 26 13:31:56 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

"We have limited resources. A respin requires not only the ability to
merge back updates easily but also the ability to do the full QA that we
do before the general releases. Doing it on a regular interval of say
every month (otherwise the updates would be very large) is lot of work.
There is work being done to solve these.
Distribution spin tool - https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi
Automated test suite - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Beaker "

It's good that work is being done to easy/automate creation of spin.
Yet doesn't justify releasing an ISO that build against wrong
kernel-arch ( I586 )
and not fixing it. QA?

Correct me if I'm wrong but would it be enought to simple change the
"default" kernel architecture line
in the installation process to I686 and rebuild the image...

"The problem that respins resolve ( large number of updates for users on
low bandwidth networks) can potentially be solved usually other methods
Delta RPMS - https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto"

Be it as it may you still have to download the ISO in the first place so
it doesnt matter if you download a re-spin or not
which *smashed* the bugs that "slipped through" in the initial release....

Adding more metadata and providing the ability for users to pick only
security updates for example.
More options means more complication which means more things can go wrong.

ALWAYS expect the user who is setting up the system to be a complete novice.

Best Regards
                   Jóhann B.

--
Jóhann B. Guðmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix Kerfistjóri.
Tæknigarði, Dunhaga 5.			Rafpóstur:	johannbg at hi.is
107 Reykjavík.				     Sími:	525-4267
Ísland.					Bréfasími:	552-8801

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
IT Management.
Reiknistofnun University of Iceland.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801