FC6 updates broken deps?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Feb 26 15:29:41 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 15:59 +0100, Denis Leroy wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm mistaken. If I submit a patch that integrates --skip-broken
>> into yum, will you accept it ? I'd be more than happy to write that patch.
>
> It really depends on how the patch is implemented. Though I'm curious
> why integrating it is important if the plugin works well enough?

let me try to answer that.

1. because the plugin is not installed by default, much less enabled by
default. As a new user, I would be confused by a large update failing
because of a single broken dep. My instinctive reaction would be to look
for an option in yum to change that behavior (assuming i even know about
yum, rather than just using the update applet). Having to launch pirut
and search for a plugin seems counter-intuitive to me.

2. I find that strictly relying on plugins to work around issues, change
default behaviors and add new functionality, or more generally accepting
contributions from the community, is a strange way of managing a
project. At least that's the way I understand yum is managed right now,
based on what Tom Callaway said sunday at FOSDEM. But if you tell me
that's not the case, I'll certainly believe you.