Detecting the need for additional kernel options?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 26 15:53:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 12:34 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> Is Anaconda currently checking the machine configuration against a
> compatibility database? On some AMD64 laptops (including my HP L2000),
> the machine would lock up randomly (without any log message) if booted
> without "noapic" (I added "nosmp" for good measure).

Instead of having a database of things like this, maybe it makes more
sense to fix them in the kernel?  :-)  And if there is a real hardware
need for things like this, it's very possible to use dmi for setting a
lot of it -- and that even helps the case for when you boot into the
installer!  Or a live CD, etc etc etc

Jeremy