Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 1 03:54:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 20:00 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> > > Ralf> I don't have any reasons to trust this URL smolt sends it data too.
> > >
> > > In principle I think this site should be controlled by the fedora project.
> >
> > Why do you think are people disabling log-in prompts,
> > forging/suppressing server id-strings, not using HINFO records in named
> > etc. ?
>
> No idea what you're talking about, and I consider myself somewhat paranoid.

Many servers/service return an id-string identifying the version of a
particular piece of SW - If this string is correct it, it provides clear
information to which vulnerabilities it is likely to be vulnerable.

Therefore many server admins use faked id-strings or don't provide this
kind of information.

> > Not worth mentioning, jerks sneaking on connections, theft of the data
> > base, connecting this data with data available from other sources and
> > selling this data ...
>
> We're still talking about data which contains solely of hardware
> information which is individually publicly available,
It is not publicly available!! You don't know which hardware I am
running nor how many machines I have, nor what I am using them for.

Otherwise smolt would not exist!

All you know is me using Fedora 6/i686 on a certain IP address.

Ralf