Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Thu Feb 1 07:35:29 UTC 2007

Hi.

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:04:51 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> So what you're saying is that the hardware profiler should be opt in
> only?

That is the long and short of it, I think (at least it is for me).
Integrate it into firstboot, advertise it all you want, but please
let it default to "no".

Mike mentioned a user clicking "Next, Next, Next" somewhere else in
this thread (and most of us know this behaviour, I think). Someone
doing this ought to be treated with the principle of least surprise
(and default and good security).

Just clicking next will enable SeLinux, because it is good for the
average user, and protects his machine.
Just clicking next will enable the Firewall, because it is good
for the user, and protects his machine.
Just clicking next will require the user to enter a root password,
and create an account (during firstboot, correct me if I'm wrong) to
work as.

In the same line I think that the default for sending this hardware
information ought to be no.