Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Feb 1 18:44:33 UTC 2007

tor, 01 02 2007 kl. 18:02 +0000, skrev Richard Hughes:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 18:39 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > A problem you are overlooking is that the whole suspend, hibernate,
> > sleep thing doesn't translate well at all. I had the (dis)pleasure of
> > translating gnome-power-manager and you end up trying to convey slight
> > technical differences in languages which sometimes don't have direct
> > equivalents..
>
> So you choose non-English words that convey the sleep state, for
> instance "nap" and "slumber" are two alternate words you could have used
> in English. I really don't think choosing non-native wording is a good
> excuse for expressing detailed device specification in the UI. The
> language teams just have to choose two words in a locale and stick to
> it.
>
> I can even add a translation section to the nomenclature page if you
> like.

I wasn't picking on you Richard but I'm sure translators will take any
help they can get though.

I see no big functional difference between the two, might it not be
possible just to have one suspend function based on what works best for
the platform and having the other (be that STR or STD) be available say
via a gconf key. I assume we could catch botched resumes and inform the
user that say STR would no longer be the default as it appears
unsupported currently. This way we'd have fewer options and the same
level of functionality. I suppose LHCP long term will be helpful in
tracking down broken drivers (Matthew Garrett claims to drink heavily
due to driver suspend/resume bugs - let's save Matthew' poor liver).

Do I need to put down the crack pipe?

- David
--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”