F7 KDE spin

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Feb 2 12:14:05 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 22:56 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:

>> Which MIME system does it use?

That of the current desktop in use.

>> Is this an upstream freedesktop.org standard?

yes.

>> Has both GNOME and KDE accepted xdg-open?

Yes, more or less, modulo a few certain folks. (:

> There is nothing to accept here, really. The xdg- wrapper scripts are
> meant for third-party software that wants to work on multiple desktops.
>
> They were never intended to be pushed back into the desktops themselves,
> At least that was not case when the Portland project was started.

I have it on good authority xdg-utils will be included (or at least proposed
for inclusion) in the next iteration of LSB, so, whatever the original
intent, it's here, and it's here to stay (for awhile anyway, until
something better comes along).

-- Rex