dhcp client acting strangely

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Sat Feb 3 16:08:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 16:41 +0100, Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> I am not sure if this is a user error or not, but here it goes:
> I just switched ISP's, and got a new modem/router. I plugged it in, and
> it has a dhcp server that i wanted to use. It doesn't work for some
> reason however. I then plugged in my old router, and internet worked
> again. I tried the new one again, that didn't work again. Going back to
> the old one now also failed. Setting the ip to a static address fixes
> things.
> Wireshark shows me that the routers indeed send a DHCPOFFER, but my
> client doesn't seem to react to that.
> Is this a bug somewhere or am I doing something stupid?

I don't think so.  This happened to me at FUDcon yesterday while working
on the dhcp packages.  dhclient just completely stopped working.  What
finally made it work again?

setenforce 0

But I'm not sure why this has never happened before.  Trying to get to
the bottom of this.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA