/etc/init.d in the default $PATH ?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Feb 5 02:01:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 04:43:03PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> >Ambiguity is bad.
> Correct.
> OTOH, if all files in /etc/init.d would be named init-<service-name> or
> something like that, then the ambiguity would disappear and the
> /etc/init.d could be added to the default $PATH.

No one seems to have mentioned this, so I will. It's important to use
/sbin/service rather than running /etc/init.d scripts directly for other
reasons than its convenience. Namely, it properly sanitizes your environment
so a program started that way behaves just as if really started by init at
system boot time.