Default MTA for Fedora 7

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 01:12:42 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:30:40AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > Surely the default should be not to include an MTA, I'm guessing a large
> > > majority of people never one it anyway (myself included).
> > That would require creating something to take the place of the smtpdaemon
> > requirement of things like mdadm, fetchmail, logwatch, etc...
>
> Yes, what's Really Needed (tm) is a very lightweight smtpdaemon designed to
> fill this need and nothing more.

What is needed for most desktops and servers is an MTA that is not an
SMTP daemon.  They need /usr/sbin/sendmail that can send mail through
SMTP to the local mail server (smart host).  It also needs to be able
to deliver mail locally.  I suppose it would be okay if it could send
email to arbitrary hosts on the Internet.  It probably needs to be a
daemon to retry failed messages.

Very few machines need to be able to receive email and listen to SMTP.
 Anyone who needs to receive email will know enough to install and
configure their mail server of choice.

 - Ian