Default MTA for Fedora 7

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Wed Feb 7 06:46:41 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 <at> infradead.org> writes:

> If we ship a fully-fledged MTA as default, then Exim seems to make most
> sense.

[..snip..]

> But again, there's an
> advantage to having a single tool which can provide the _full_ range of
> functionality from low end to high end without the user ever having to
> throw one tool away and start learning a new one from scratch because
> they want to do something which the one they're currently using can't
> handle.

Never used Exim, so I'm not really sure how much truth is in the author's
statement:

"The bottom line is that Exim does not perform particularly well in
environments where the queue regularly gets very large. It was never
designed for this; deliveries from the queue were always intended to be
'exceptions' rather than the norm."

Wouldn't that be a bit of a concern, at least on the server? Maybe we should
have one default for the Server and some other for the Desktop spin?

One other question - do Fedora packages ship with Exim set SUID root? Is that
something to worry about?

PS. As I said, never used Exim - just asking out of curiosity.

--
Bojan