Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 17:06:35 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 19:22 +0100, Ola Thoresen wrote:
>
>> Mike McGrath wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, smolt is in a state now where it can be released and tested
>>> by the general public.  Currently smolt-firstboot has firstboot
>>> integration with opt in/out.  My question for the dev's is:
>>>
>>> Do we as a community want to include this by default in Fedora 7?
>>>
>> I can also see this as an extremely useful tool for IT-departments and
>> companies trying to keep track of their hardware.
>> So a nice feature would be to get a local copy of the smolt-server
>> running, and then have all servers and workstations report to that
>> server - either instead of or in addition to the fedora server.
>>
>> That way it would be easy to keep track of which workstations have been
>> upgraded with more RAM, what chipset the different servers have and so on.
>>
>> Ofcourse one could also add a "module" for the local reporting that adds
>> info such as ip and mac-address for network cards, different
>> configuration parameters and so on.
>>

> +1 - that sounds like a very good idea.

In the local use case, it might be nice to add something like tracking
package installs as well (hmm, that sounds familiar for some reason...).
Ditto the kickstart, install log, etc.

It could also be useful to send up the type of info found in sysreport.
I think someone even started writing a module python based one at one
point.

Adrian