Default MTA for Fedora 7

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 8 13:58:54 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating scripst:
> I think it will be sendmail.  Path of least surprise.  Much harder to make any
> sort of change like that in RHEL :/

I would say that substantial part of all sendmails on Linux are running
RHEL anyways (or other way around, that substantial part of RHELs are used
for running sendmail). However, this thread began (long time ago :-))
thinking about Fedora *Desktop* spin. I would say that really desktop
users should be getting something more palatable than sendmail.

The problem of the situation and the reason why this whole discussion
seems to me to be pointless is that there is really not good *well-tested
and mature* MTA, which would just deliver to smarthost *and* locally,
so we have to choose between different not-perfect huge MTAs scaled down
to the personal size. The MTA which I would love was masqmail
(http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/masqmail/), but that was abandoned
even by its author (and probably the only developer). Oh well.

Matej

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

The function of the expert is not to be more right than other
people, but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
    -- Dr. David Butler, British psephologist