Understanding multi-lib conflicts in packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sat Feb 10 23:06:44 UTC 2007

I have a *long* list of i386+x86_64 multi-lib package conflicts in
Extras 7 here.

If two packages (one i386, the other x86_64) of the same name
are installed, which files can cause conflicts because no magic
inside RPM takes care of overriding files like executables?

Can %doc files cause a conflict?
I assume include files can cause a conflict.
I assume arch-independent data files can cause a conflict.
I assume executables in bindir/sbindir'n'friends don't cause
a conflict, because RPM lets the best arch win (or something like
that, right?)

A few examples. Are these false positives?

ClanLib-devel - 0.8.0-3.fc6.i386
  Conflicts: 2
  File conflict in:
     /usr/share/doc/ClanLib-devel-0.8.0/html/Reference/html/global_index.html
     /usr/share/doc/ClanLib-devel-0.8.0/html/Reference/html/cross_index.html
  Packages with the same files:
     ClanLib-devel - 0.8.0-3.fc6.x86_64

ode-devel - 0.7-2.fc6.i386
  Conflicts: 1
  File conflict in:
     /usr/include/ode/config.h
  Packages with the same files:
     ode-devel - 0.7-2.fc6.x86_64

qt4-devel - 4.2.2-2.fc7.i386
  Conflicts: 4
  File conflict in:
     /usr/include/QtCore/qconfig.h
     /usr/include/Qt/qconfig.h
     /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/common/g++.conf
     /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/qconfig.pri
  Packages with the same files:
     qt4-devel - 4.2.2-2.fc7.x86_64

rekall - 2.4.5-5.fc7.3.i386
  Conflicts: 9
  File conflict in:
     /usr/bin/rekallqt
     /usr/bin/rkdcop
     /usr/share/apps/rekallqt/test/forms/forms
  Packages with the same files:
     rekall - 2.4.5-5.fc7.3.x86_64