Smolt: firsboot revisited

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 15 05:58:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 00:34 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 05:48 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 10:59 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > So smolt is still setup in firstboot and still is opt in.  My question
> > > is do we want to install smolt as part of a default configuration with
> > > F7.  My vote is yes.
> >
> > My vote is no.
> >

> > * is legally questionable.
>
> If you have a concern here, please file a bug on it and I will make sure
> it gets passed into the legal queue for evaluation.

Everything that needed to be said had been communicated to Mr. McGrath.
It's up to him to decide on what to do with it.

>  Please list the
> country where you think the law might be violated.
Probably most parts of the world outside of the US, definitely in
Europe, definitely in Germany, probably also in some part of Asia.

Besides this, you should understand that data-privacy plays a much more
important role than what you are used to in many countries and
communities - As I already said: You are playing with a loaded gun,
right in front of your face.

Here in Germany, many folks consider any such transition from user to
vendor as "hostile espionage". Press is full of articles flaming
manufactures for this and related topics.

It will definitely be reason for users not to choose Fedora in future
(It might have escaped you, but Microsoft and other vendors having done
the similar is the reason why many users choose to switch to Linux).

Ralf