Smolt: firsboot revisited

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Feb 15 12:42:52 UTC 2007

Once upon a time Thursday 15 February 2007 1:20 am, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> I.e. from a German point of view. Smolt's "machine id" in connection
> with the IP address needs to be legally reviewed if this qualifies as
> "personalized data". I for one regard it as such.
Ralf
Did you look at the code like i asked last time ?  IP's are not collected.
the data is transmitted by post  so there is is no way to tie a UUID to an ip
and it is completely opt in  you see exactly what is going to be sent before
it is sent.

So what you are arguing for is exactly what smolt does.  Stop spreading FUD
now.   you are perfectly  free to uncheck smolt from your installs and not
participate.  that is your right to do.

Seriously  look at the code

Dennis