Smolt: firsboot revisited

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Feb 15 12:46:39 UTC 2007

Once upon a time Thursday 15 February 2007 2:32 am, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 02:19 +0000, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > I don't think you've ever said how the information is being sent
> > without user permission or what the personal data is that is being
> > sent.
>
> The smolt developers would be the ones to reply this.
>
> AFAIS (I banned smolt from my installations), it transmits
> a machine-id, several HW details (CPU brand, type, peripherials,
> bogomips) and OS details via http.
Only if you choose to.  send your information there is no mechanism for
automatically sending the data without your consent.  and you are free to not
install smolt.

> i.e. they have the IP, they have a "machine-id", and they have
> information which is not publicly available elsewhere.

we have no way to tie a UUID to an IP  web log information is publicliy
available.  as is the ability for me to look up your ip  via mail headers in
mail you send.  but i still cant tell what machine is yours if you choose to
send in a profile.  they only way i could know that would be if you
personally gave me your uuid

Stop spreading FUD