RFC: drop old autofoo spackages

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 15 16:29:28 UTC 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Karsten Hopp wrote:
>
>> We're currently shipping several quite old automake/autoconf packages
>> just to keep
>> a few other old packages building. I'd like to drop the following
>> packages:
>>
>> autoconf213   (8 years since the last upstream maintenance)
>> automake14    (5 years since the last upstream maintenance)
>> automake15    (6 years since the last upstream maintenance)
>> automake16    (5 years since the last upstream maintenance)
>
> By drop, you mean orphan? (:
>
> Perhaps someone more interested in the legacy aspects could take over
> maintainership of these.
>
> Some of these *really* are needed by some of the quasi-legacy
> apps/libraries Fedora (Extras) still contains.

Like the Gnome-1 stack for instance. I intend to tweak imlib (which I've
recently un-orphaned) to take a patch rather than use autotools during
the RPM build, but I'll be wanting to use the same version of the
autotools as upstream used originally to make/maintain the patch and
keep it to a sensible size. So although the actual package build will no
longer need the old autotools, I as a maintainer will still need them.

Paul.