Detecting version in a SPEC file

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 13:13:16 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007 07:57, Jos Vos wrote:
> I don't know about Fedora, but on RHEL nothing on the system predefines
> the %rhel macro, that's purely an internal define in the RH build system.

Correct, both Fedora and RHEL (5+)'s buildsystem defines %fedora for fedora
and %rhel for RHEL, as part of the definition of %{?dist} to .el5 for
RHEL, .fc5 for Fedora Core 5, .fc6 for Fedora Core 6, and .fc7 for Fedora 7.
All it requires is a macro file on the system building the packages for you
that defines these macros.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora