Creating a jackuser group

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 21:47:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 19:01 +0100, Davide Bolcioni wrote:
>  I think this is not necessary
> provided we have:
>
>   /usr/bin/qjackctl -> consolehelper
>   /usr/sbin/qjackctl
>   /etc/pam.d/qjackctl
>
> so that when a normal user invokes qjackctl, consolehelper kicks in and
> authenticates against PAM (this step could be skipped if qjackctl, by
> himself, explicitly used PAM for authentication). Then we would have
> something (warning: UNTESTED) along the lines of
>
> %PAM-1.0
> auth       sufficient   pam_rootok.so
> auth       required     pam_console.so
> account    required     pam_permit.so
> session required pam_limits.so conf=/etc/security/qjackctl.conf
>
> in /etc/pam.d/qjackctl.

I tried this (but with jackd instead of qjackctl).  It works as
advertised after I created an empty
file /etc/security/console.apps/jackd.

Pardon my ignorance, but one thing I noticed is that it actually runs
jackd as root, which means that the user can't terminate it with Ctrl-C.
Is this expected and is there a solution?

AG