Archives of Fedora IRC channels

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:55:26 UTC 2007

> Max Spevack wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> I did explain that in the original mail. For contributors and users to
> >> look back at what discussions happened in any Fedora channel at any
> >> time. Meetings planned or adhoc. Questions that were answered before etc.
> >
> > I wonder how useful something like that would end up being, just as a
> > bunch of raw data.  At least the mailman archives are pretty easy to
> > navigate.  Piles of IRC logs... shudder.
> >
> > Without some way of organizing the information in the logs, it kind of
> > seems like a waste of time, no?  And wouldn't the time spent organizing
> > (or writing a program to organize) that info be better spent elsewhere
> > in Fedora?
>
> It's just a matter of running a bot (which already exists) on all the
> channels. I guess it wouldnt take more than an hour to setup for someone
> more familiar with it.

I could see running one on #fedora-meeting, but the folks having
meetings there aren't having any problem getting their minutes and logs
out, so this seems like overkill.  Speaking for Docs (or at least as a
single FDSCo member), I doubt we'd want one in our channel.  It's an
important social structure to have graduations of publicity, from
highest to lowest:

1. Web pages, wiki, blogs
2. Mailing lists
3. IRC/IM
4. Private email
5. IRC/IM PrivMsg
6. Phone
7. PGP/GPG-encrypted ninja carrier pigeon?

We can ensure transparency by carrying things up the stack as needed.
It's an important part of FOSS leadership to actually *do* that work,
and we should deal with failures in a less drastic way than by
eliminating levels of privacy that I think are necessary social
structures.  People need to feel they have a place to go "off the
record" and relax a little bit, and not worry about every word being
tracked for all eternity.  There's already plenty of ways to embarrass
oneself publicly (some of which have absolutely nothing to do with
pubs)!

So, +1 to "no bots" generally, except in #fedora-meeting where it would
be expected and not unwelcome, even if completely redundant.