fedora-devel-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 67

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Wed Feb 21 13:32:23 UTC 2007

> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:03:50 -0500 (EST)
> From: esr at thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond)
> Subject: Goodbye, Fedora
> To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
> Cc: lwn at lwn.net, editors at newsforge.com, sjvn at vna1.com,
> 	editors at linuxtoday.com
>
> After thirteen years as a loyal Red Hat and Fedora user, I reached my
> limit today, when an attempt to upgrade one (1) package pitched me
> into a four-hour marathon of dependency chasing, at the end of which
> an attempt to get around a trivial file conflict rendered my system
> unusable.
[SNIP]

Over the years I have heard Eric S Raymond pontificate and assail and I
grow more tired each time I am subjected to one of his ramblings.

ESR, as he is frequently called, is a harm to the free software movement,
and I for one, welcome his departure from this list. Damn it, but now I
have the potential of having to read his crap on the Ubuntu forums. What's
the over/under on the number of days/weeks before he makes some sort of
proclamation about what's wrong with Ubuntu?

Eric, why don't you just shut up and roll your own release? Oh, wait,
that's right, you are all talk and no action.

In free software, we contribute when we can and help when we can, whining
and quitting is for losers.

Mark L. Woodward