a question abotu the .spec file

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 01:29:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:26:49 -0500, "Chris Taylor" <chtaylo4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> # now run oldconfig over all the config files
> for i in *.config

> since there are different .config files for each iteration of the kernel (
> i.e kernel-2.6.19-i586.config vs  kernel-2.6.18-i586.config) should the
> .spec file be specific to the kernel that it's intended for?

I suspect that you're mistaken in your diagnosis. The scriptlet you
quoted runs in the top of the build tree. A few lines earlier, this
happens:

cp -f %{all_arch_configs} .

The dot was removed, then untarred and patched, at the beginning of build.
Thus, the *.config is not globbed over a bunch of different configs left
over in the unclean .../SOURCES/. It cannot possibly run across different
revisions.

Right? Or I am missing something?

So, if your SKAS patch causes nohint_oldconfig to abort, it's something
other than pollution by old configs. You're still advised to remove
old sources before running rpm -i on an SRPM.

-- Pete