Goodbye, Fedora

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Feb 22 09:40:31 UTC 2007

Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Eric S. Raymond <esr <at> thyrsus.com> writes:
>
>> Actually, there was.  But it was a couple of days old.  I didn't expect
>> a *single-package update* to be so dangerous that I needed to do
>> a full backup first.  How foolishly optimistic of me.
>
> You mean "the single package update that involved manual removal, by YOU, of a
> crucial component from the system".
>
> And you didn't have to do a full backup. You could just do a quick incremental
> instead. Unless you had terabytes of new stuff, it wouldn't have taken that long.
>
> Even after you created that problem for yourself by removing a vital component
> from your system, you had options. Instead, as usual, you've chosen to throw a
> tantrum on the list. Not cool.
>
> --
> Bojan

In all fairness, I wouldn't have performed that backup neither, as I
expect is true for a lot of even semi-knowledgable sysadmins and generic
linux powerusers. Not sor something as simple as this. However - There
is still the rescue mode that's been mentioned a few times already,
which could have fixed the issue in a matter of minutes. Without the backup!

/Thomas