FC6 to Rawhide via repo switch

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Thu Feb 22 19:19:06 UTC 2007

I recently got my system wedged without having good notes about what
happened.  So I figured that the simplest path to getting back to a
running Rawhide was to install minimally FC6 and change the repos to
select development (should extras development be enabled?) and then do
an update.  I did that and midway through the 1000+ package update the
system rebooted leaving me scratching my head wondering if I should
distrust this approach or just reboot and try again with another update
and hope for the best.  I did the latter and have been beset by weird
behavior ever since.  Like checkbox buttons not echoing properly on GUIs
and non elf format conflicts in some bin programs and libraries.

In any case, if it will help to perform that FC6->Rawhide update in a
more controlled fashion, I will do so, but only if somebody in
particular cares or will define what constraints and expectations are
relevant.  Doing this at random does seem fraught with the risk of doing
so right about the time some normal Rawhide breakage has been unleashed.

Left to my own devices I'll start with a less risky approach to getting
to a running Rawhide that I feel is sufficiently "correct" to file bug
reports against.  To that end I'm open to suggestion, especially references.

Thanks,

-pmr