Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 13:17:36 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 07:35, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> * heavy use of Red Hat internal mailing-lists for Fedora related matters,

This is complete BS.  Maybe one or three messages a month pop up on internal
lists, and those are immediately redirected to external lists.  The idea that
we have long and involved threads regarding core on some hidden lists is
completely false.

> * weird procedures by which Red Hat's Fedora Core package owners need
> sponsorship for cvs_extras and either get blanket approval or are
> really "sponsored" by community contributors without that the
> sponsors' responsibilities and duties are documented,

Yes, because it is quite difficult to define what is needed for CURRENT
maintainers.  All our policies are designed around NEW maintainers joining
the fold.  Many of these RH employees were already in the fold as
maintainers.

> * more closed circles, in which decisions are made -- including mysteries
> like brew, koji, and code transfer for the new Updates System,

These decisions were made at the Fedora summit, with the Fedora board and
other community folks, complete with an IRC channel during the live
discussions.  Further discussion has happened in Fedora board meetings and
public Fedora lists.

> * unclear role of FESCo, not enough steering -- instead: the drive
> that "you don't need to be in FESCo to get something done",

I don't even know what you mean by this.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora