Detecting the need for additional kernel options?

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:34:12 UTC 2007

Is Anaconda currently checking the machine configuration against a
compatibility database? On some AMD64 laptops (including my HP L2000),
the machine would lock up randomly (without any log message) if booted
without "noapic" (I added "nosmp" for good measure).

Perhaps a user-maintainable database; we can consider tying it in with
Smolt so that only users who own a particular model can submit
required kernel options for it (to verify ownership, give the user a
token that they must pass to Smolt, e.g. smoltSendProfile
--key=AF32EBD4008)

Speaking of Smolt, the CPUspeed reported does not seem that useful,
unless it interfaces with CPUspeed to first set the clockspeed to
minimum, take a measurement, then set it to maximum, measure, and then
restore the original setting? My 2GHz laptop was reported as a 1.6 ..

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/