Synaptics touchpad doesn't work on a mac book pro

Frank Arnold frank at scirocco-5v-turbo.de
Mon Feb 26 20:21:04 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 26.02.2007, 07:00 -0800 schrieb Rafael Espíndola:
> I am trying to make the synaptics touchpad work on fedora. I am
> following the instructions on
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook/
>
> The first problem is that some modules (mousedev, usbhid and evdev)
> are compiled builtin. Why?. I compiled a custom kernel with them as
> modules.

Works for me with the stock Fedora kernels on my PowerBook. There's no
need for fiddling around with /etc/modprobe.conf. Is your touchpad
working without synaptics, or more specifically is the appletouch module
getting loaded?

> Unfortunately, X still can't find the synaptics:
>
> Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
> (EE) Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
> (EE) Synaptics Touchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"

Do you have chosen the right device? Here are the relevant portions of
my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
	InputDevice	"Mouse0"
	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"