Synaptics touchpad doesn't work on a mac book pro

Frank Arnold frank at scirocco-5v-turbo.de
Tue Feb 27 07:48:32 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 26.02.2007, 20:30 -0800 schrieb Rafael Espíndola:
> > Works for me with the stock Fedora kernels on my PowerBook. There's no
> > need for fiddling around with /etc/modprobe.conf. Is your touchpad
> > working without synaptics, or more specifically is the appletouch module
> > getting loaded?
>
> It works without the appletouch module, but it is very limited (can't
> drag). With the modprobre hacks the appletouch driver is loaded, but
> the X synaptic driver doesn't work.

>From what I read so far, the MacBook touchpad operates in a normal mouse
mode if not told otherwise. The appletouch module sets it to another
mode, where the touchpad reports raw data of its sensors.

If appletouch isn't loaded automatically, I suspect the product ID of
your touchpad is not listed inside the appletouch driver. With the
appletouch module loaded I get this inside the output of
'cat /proc/bus/input/devices':

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=05ac Product=020f Version=0028
N: Name="appletouch"
P: Phys=usb-0001:10:1a.0-2/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input7
H: Handlers=mouse2 event7
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 0 10000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=1000003

Without appletouch this section is missing.

Maybe the easiest way to get your product ID is to start up the System
Profiler of MacOSX and look at the values of 'USB => USB-Bus => Apple
Internal Keyboard/Trackpad'. Then you can verify it with the list inside
the appletouch source.

Somewhere in appletouch I found a comment 'No 17" Macbooks (yet)'. Could
that be the culprit?

Frank