Rawhide status

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at gmx.de
Mon Jan 1 10:21:52 UTC 2007

> Is rawhide status sort of broken due to kernel, dev stuff (hdx to sdx)
> or whatever?  Or is that part fixed and even installable or whatever
> now?
>
> Hvaen't tried it in a week or longer, and ended up having to reinstall
> FC6+updates to get back a usable system.
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY

As pointed out in previous comments, it's perfectly possible to use rescue/install disks which are out of sync to install "FC rawhide".
I have used "FC6" and even "FC5" rescue/install disks to install "rawhide" successfully [especially useful when e.g. current "anaconda" is broken on a particular hardware]. :)
The problem with the current "rawhide" rescue image is that networking is broken [at least for me], and so no network install can be performed.
In my case, the only thing to take care of after using the "FC6" install media was to "chroot" to "/mnt/sysimage" at the end of the install procedure and to reinstall the kernel. Now, current "mkinitrd" [v6.0.6] is used instead of the older one used by the installer, and a valid "initrd" file is created. After that, my "IBM ThinkPad T23" happily boots into "FC devel" using the current "2.6.19" kernel.