Fedora 7

Robert Scheck fedora-devel-list.listman at linuxnetz.de
Thu Jan 4 20:56:45 UTC 2007

Good evening,

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> There will be no more releases of Fedora Core or Fedora Extras.

Sounds nice, even I'm curious whether this can be realized until April.
And What will be the release tagging of the new "Fedora 7"? Won't there be
no magic .fc7 dist any longer? IMHO .f7 looks odd and causes problem with
rpmvercmp. We could take this as reason to rename Fedora again ;-)

> Wait! Where are you going? Come back!

Nope, why to drive Fedora's highway to hell? Just kidding. For Fedora 7 we
absolutely should fix the bugs #132925, #152435, #192854, #220265, #193475,
#206697, #212780 as they're longer open but unfortunately silent moved from
one Fedora release to another and most of them are tagged EasyFix, too.

> - Add wireless firmware for all the chipsets we can

It doesn't match really, but can we please also get rid of bug #212890 for
Fedora 7, as this problem is related.

> - Investigate (but probably don't switch to) new init technologies
> - Switch to syslog-ng

Aren't these two not the same and don't they conflict each other? Or did I
understand something wrong?

> - Speed up Yum and RPM

Does this mean, we get the new magic RPM until April with the new community
as proposed by Max some time ago? Or do we really want ship the old and
nearly antiquaric and heavily patched RPM 4.4.2 for another Fedora release?
Hopefully not.

So far, so good. Anyway you all hopefully slipped very well into 2007.

Greetings,
  Robert