Fedora 7

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jan 4 23:20:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 18:10 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Installable?  As in the unpacked tree on the CD will be copied to the
> hard disk, keeping the RPM database updated correctly?  Sounds
> neat--it may be faster to install that way rather than installing RPMs
> the normal way.  The trick would be getting upgrades to work that way
> too :-)

Yes, it's much much much faster; we simply do "dd if=os.img
of=/dev/sda2" [1] and once that is done we "e2resizefs /dev/sda2" and
finally we configure the system. If you run the live CD from RAM then
the install time takes 3-4 minutes (on a 2GHz system with 1GB RAM). If
not running the live CD from RAM then it's around 7-8 minutes.

Some time next week I'll post an RPM (to fedora-livecd-list) that you
can install onto the FC6 live CD (remember it got a rw rootfs) so
testing can commence. The installer is text based right now but writing
a small GTK+ app for this is relatively easy.

     David

[1] : where os.img stems from the live cd and is the ext3 fs..
and /dev/sda2 is the target partition