Fedora Core 7 - Compiz vs Beryl

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Fri Jan 5 00:36:34 UTC 2007

Compiz is the upstream original, Beryl is a fork.

Compiz uses gconf which is pretty standard and works well with gnome
obviously, Beryl uses flat file.

Beryl has (had?) some additional plugins, but plugins are being written
for compiz all the time as well, look at compiz-extras.

Beryl has a theme manager, compiz uses cairo, metacity, or KDE themes.

They look the same to me but Compiz just seems to be the better
integrated of the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz