Fedora Core 7 - Compiz vs Beryl

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Fri Jan 5 09:05:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 21:20 -0700, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> And as of the last version, compiz had a horrid configuration (read
> almost none) for the different plugins, etc.

Nearly if not all of it is through GConf. While no graphical preferences
capplet or similar exists for it yet, the keys are listed in detail in
gconf-editor and modifying them gets you the results you need/want.

> That needs to be fixed. I like the GREAT configurability of Beryl.

That configurability comes at the cost of a disastrous UI and many cases
of Not-Invented-Here syndrome (using flat files for storage instead of
GConf, using its own themes instead of those of Metacity/Cairo/GTK, et.
al). That, and the fact that the people of Beryl is purportedly much
less strict about the quality and consistency of code accepted.

I've got three words for that: No thank you.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479