Fedora 7

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Fri Jan 5 09:32:06 UTC 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 4:28 am, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> I don't think it is descriminatory at all.

  I do. Please take what follows in a light mood, at least I did.

> Actually, what would be consistent would be for the Gnome community to
> name something "This does Foo" that has functionality Foo and the KDE
> community to name something "KBar" that has the functionality Bar (and
> I have a whole bunch of KStuff in my Gnome menu to prove it). Jesse's
> original suggestion is more inline with that since KFedora is a bit
> unweildy.

  I would call that more an historical accident that a planned strategy.
Please don't forget as well gedit, gaim, gphoto...

  OTHO I use gwenview - Simple image viewer for KDE.

> KDE folk seem to like their brand stuck on every piece of software
> made for that desktop. Gnome folk tend not to go that route and name
> their apps random obscure words and put localized descriptions in the
> menus. To each their own.

  The plan (and practice) for KDE 4 is not to add a k preffix in a gratuitous
way. FWIW the only new project that I remember now that starts with k, for
KDE 4, is KDE 4 itself. :-)

  Certainly the existing projects will retain their names, it would be foolish
to do it otherwise, but please don't put intention where it is not.

--
José Abílio