Fedora 7

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Fri Jan 5 12:24:04 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 21:24 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> On Thursday 04 January 2007 9:18 pm, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>>> I think the right Answer is to make NM cover all cases.  where you don't
>>> need to go to other tools.   I use entirely NM.  but i could see instances
>>> where i need to choose between multiple static wired configs  that NM may
>>> not be the easiest tool to use.
>> I should add i use NM on laptops only.  servers and desktops I dont use it.
> FWIW: I have never managed to get NM working anywhere for me.
> After having played with it on laptops, desktops/network-clients and my
> home network's server, I found my myself having disabled NM everywhere.

I use it on both laptops and desktops. I still get frequent cases of
having to select my wireless network multiple times until it
successfully connects, and the fact it doesn't connect until the user
logs in means once I'm logged I have to restart some services such as
squid. NM has the thankless job of having to deal with wireless drivers
of extremely varying quality and stability.

My laptop chipset is well suppobrted (aironet), but on the desktop it's
a nightmare. I have a PCI madwifi-based card that's stable but yields
horrible signal strength, and two of those little USB wifi adapters. One
  (Netgear MA111v2) works with ndiswrapper but systematically crashes
the kernel on shutdown, the other (a Sagem XG-760N) is only supported by
the  very unstable zd1211b driver. *sigh*.