Fedora 7

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 14:28:48 UTC 2007

> On Friday 05 January 2007 06:53, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Share the source man!  Or send it to Dan and tell him to integrate it
> > into NM
>
> Oh no, this was horrible stuff.  A very simple UI that was a radio button
> between work and home, with an apply/cancel button under it.  The backend
> would do a series of os.system calls to iwconfig, dhclient, echos into
> resolve.conf, stuff like that.  It wouldn't be very useful, and I think the
> code for it is long lost in one of my reinstalls.

Config for 0.7 will be much more flexible in addition to allowing
system-wide configuration.  The page here explains at least the
_conceptual_ structure of how the configuration should work.  Some of
the implementation details are up in the air until we figure out how
they relate to/fit in with PolicyKit, which we're looking at now.

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfiguration

One note should be that 'dns-search' should probably be a string array
and not just a string item.  But once the details are figured out
there'll be a spec for these key/value pairs and their type.

Really, it's just an array of "connection" objects, each of which itself
is an array of dictionary objects that contains key/value pairs that
describe the settings.  It doesn't really matter how they are stored,
whether in GConf, KConfig, LDAP, text files, on a smartcard, or
whatever, as long as it can be spit back out in this pretty simple
format.

Dan