Fedora Desktop vs. Fedora Desktop {GNOME, KDE} (was: Re: Fedora 7)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jan 5 15:24:58 UTC 2007

Le Ven 5 janvier 2007 16:01, Josh Boyer a écrit :
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 09:44 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Friday 05 January 2007 01:55, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> > This issue brings up a interesting question: Which board has the power
>> > to influence and adjust this particular naming scheme in our new
>> > "merged" world? FESCo or the Fedora Board?
>>
>> Ultimately I feel it should be the Fedora board.  FESCo is really
>> responsible
>> for making sure the full repo is there, and the Distribution cabal
>> (hopefully
>> there will be more than just me) is responsible for taking content from
>> that
>> repository and creating installable iso sets from it.
>
> I think it's a little more complicated than that.  Or maybe not.  If
> there are two committees, one for the repo and one for the release, they
> need to work really closely together.  The release cabal needs a stable
> set of packages to build the releases from and the repo cabal would need
> to enforce that.  E.g. feature freeze, string freeze, etc.

My feeling is somehow different. I'd really love to have a clear
separation between the group that makes long-term transverse decisions and
the group responsible for driving a particular release (with perhaps given
Fedora's short lifecycle & usual manager burnout different groups for
different releases).

That's the only way you'll get clear release focus

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot