Fedora Core 7 - Compiz vs Beryl

Trever L. Adams tadams-lists at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 5 23:58:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 01:05 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> That configurability comes at the cost of a disastrous UI and many cases
> of Not-Invented-Here syndrome (using flat files for storage instead of
> GConf, using its own themes instead of those of Metacity/Cairo/GTK, et.
> al). That, and the fact that the people of Beryl is purportedly much
> less strict about the quality and consistency of code accepted.
>
> I've got three words for that: No thank you.

Give me the ability to select the plugins, configure colors, speed,
effects for vairous things with a nice UI and I wiould take compiz.
However, telling people to use gconf-editor is not always the answer.

I agree, things should use standard tools. However, they target KDE as
well, so gconf is not necessarily part of the solution. However,
Metacity/Cairo/GTK do not, as of yet (as far as I have seen), have
transparent themes, etc. This is another problem.

So, yes, if you can get some of these user side problems (including
theme candy) fixed, then yes, compiz would be better.

My big complaint, probably my biggest, is the lack of an Expose like
functionality. I love it, it helps me work faster.

Trever