Fedora 7

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 00:04:32 UTC 2007

On 1/5/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Michael Wiktowy (michael.wiktowy at gmail.com) said:
> > Could someone illuminate me on the non-vile iproute2 style of doing
> > this (give me the right jargon to Google)? Is it that you can call the
> > aliases anything you want with a mapping/iface combo in
> > /etc/network/interfaces?
> > Apparently, I was being vile and didn't know it and want to reform.
>
> Just 'ip addr add dev eth0 192.168.1.1/24'.

Thanks ... I'll have to investigate how this survives the DHCP client
as my point to using aliases in the past was to ensure that I had a
static IP that I can reach from the outside via port forwarded ssh
through a router that seems to mysteriously change internal IP
assignments when it uses DHCP.

/Mike