Fedora 7 (Everything installs)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 02:49:57 UTC 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 21:26, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> What makes you think the installation is pointed at a full core+extras
> mirror instead of a selected subset?  Not everybody is stupid you
> know.

Because that's not "everything" and saying it is just puts us back into that
confusing place where everything doesn't mean everything.  We don't install
kenrel.i586 kernel.i686 kernel-xen etc... on systems that don't support it. A
yum install \* would do this, and bam, your box won't boot.  How fun is that?

Now, when you bring up a selected subset, these spins could be "everything" by
default, as in you're getting the Desktop CD set, it could list all packages
that were targetted for this spin as default (some manditory) and you've
got "everything".  Deselect what you don't want.

Will we do this for Fedora Desktop/Server/KDE?  Probably not.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora