Fedora 7

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Jan 6 14:12:41 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:

>> You say this as if it's a good thing, I see this as another fact that
>> KDE isn't really designed for the mass userbase.  How in gods green
>> earth is somebody supposed to look at a KDE menu and know that
>> Konqueror is for browsing the web?  That "Kate" is for writing text
>> files?
>
> So why havent we fixed up the menu to be meaningful?

KDE doesn't *need* fixing, it isn't broke.  Konq already (can) display as
Konqueror Web Browswer
IMO, the fact that other apps (and gnome) in Fedora does this
differently by abusing
Name=
vs.
GenericName=
in .desktip files is bad/wrong/silly/bug.  As long as I have any input
on it,
* KDE will not go down that road, ever.
* Packaging Guidelines should be updated highlight/avoid such abuse

-- Rex